Pretty Tough interviews Paige McDuffee, the 2011 ESPN RISE Ms. Softball USA , the 2011 Gatorade Softball Player of the Year, and a 2011 Gatorade Athlete of the Year nominee.
Name: Paige McDuffee
High School: The Woodlands (Woodlands, Texas)
2010-11 Athletic Resume:
• Compiling a 37-1 record, led the The Woodlands (44-1) to Class 5A state title and to the nation’s No. 1 ranking in final 2010 ESPN RISE FAB 50 poll
• Batted .415 with a 1.014 OPS and drove in 42 runs in 123 at-bats
• Pitched 21 shutouts and a no-hitter in recording a 0.97 earned run average, a 0.694 WHIP and 244 strikeouts (walking just 28) while holding opponents to a .157 batting average in 216 innings
• Went 12-1 in the circle during postseason run to the state title, battling a partially detached muscle in her left forearm and a left ring-finger injury.
• 2011 ESPN RISE Ms. Softball USA Finalist
• 2011 MaxPreps National Player of the Year Finalist
• Became 16th non-senior to win a national Gatorade honors in any sport—the second in the sport of softball, joining two-time national winner and Arizona native Kenzie Fowler (2007-09), a sophomore two-time All-American with the Wildcats.
• 2011 Class 5A State Tournament MVP
• 2011 All-State, District 14-5A MVP
• 2011 Houston Chronicle All-Greater Houston Pitcher of the Year
• Verbally committed to play softball on scholarship at UCLA beginning in the fall of 2012.
• 2009 Dallas Morning News All-Area selection
2010-11 Academic Resume:
• 3.37 GPA
• 2010-11 Academic All-District
Community Service/Extracurricular Activities:
• Volunteered in association with the Lena pope Home for at-risk youth
• Participated in The Woodlands High School Adopt-a-Family program for local needy families • Member of Crossroads Church Youth Group
• Volunteered at Cook Children’s Hospital
• Volunteered in association with the Apple Tree Home Care at senior care events, 2008-09
• Served as a counselor for summer and winter for The Woodlands High softball camps
• Volunteer pitching instructor for area youth league players
• Member of National Junior Honor Society
• Student Council member at Mansfield High, 2008-09
• Special Olympics volunteer