It’s easy to develop a routine. Sleep, eat, school, gym, work. Repeat. Everyday tasks can start to seem repetitive and mundane however, especially during the winter months, and you start to wonder how to break free.
Well, spring is the perfect time to get inspired! I just got back from a spring break trip to Paris. I had never been to Europe before and experiencing a city so packed with art and culture was just the push I needed to get me over my winter slump. However, you don’t need to travel thousands of miles to be inspired. I’ll share some tips that will help you beat the winter blues and make your passion a reality.
1. Wake Up Early – Don’t stop reading now. Waking up early may seem like a drag, but it increases productivity throughout the day. There’s no better feeling than checking the clock at 11:00 am and having three items checked off your to-do list. Finishing required tasks early in the day – homework, bills, errands – opens up the day and lets you get to other activities – shopping, hiking, gardening – free of stress!
2. Go Outside – It’s spring (despite the fact that here in the Northeast we’re expecting one more snowstorm). Time to take a break from technology, get out of your dorm or apartment and soak up that vitamin D – your mind, body, and soul will thank you later. Studies show that when you spend time outside, you will have a clearer and more focused mindset for future activities. Plus you will get a better night sleep and feel more rested. Need ideas fun ways to get outside? Take a walk, start a garden, visit a local park, go on a hike, meditate under a tree. Whatever it is, make spending time outside part of your daily routine. After all, there’s nothing like the great outdoors.
3. Spring Cleaning – Getting organized is a great way to jump start the season. Clean out your closet and give away any clothes that are out of style or don’t fit anymore. Make an effort to get that old grass stain out of your white pants and take anything with missing buttons/broken hems to the dry cleaner or tailor. It feels good to look good. While you’re at it, take this time to organize other facets of your life. Buy an accordion folder and sort through your drawer of receipts. Being organized is empowering and relieves unnecessary stress. Less stress = more time to pursue your passion!
4. Visit a Museum – Okay, I’ll admit this bullet point may or may not stem from the fact that I just visited The Louvre for the first time…regardless, going to any museum (big or small) is a great way to get inspired. Monet’s impressionist flowers, Degas’ ballerinas or Van Gogh’s pink roses will lift you up and get you ready for a new season.
5. Goal Time – Make a list of a few things you want to accomplish this spring. The list doesn’t have to be extensive; rather it’s more productive to focus on 2-3 key tasks…Bored of your room? Paint it! Been eyeing an awesome DIY project? Create it!
Whatever you do, take advantage of this season to kick things into high gear. It’s your time!
Alex Morency is a soccer player and NYU student studying Media, Culture and Communication. Follow her @am0rency
Now, it’s actually healthy to wash your hair every day. AVEENO® PURE RENEWAL lets you renew your hair to its naturally balanced state daily. Unlike ordinary shampoos, these sulphate-free formulas have Balancing Seaweed Extract; bringing hair back to its naturally healthy, most balanced state with each wash, for beautifully healthy-looking hair.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Aveeno via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Aveeno.