Lady of America, a full-service chain of female-focused fitness centers, is offering teenage girls ages 13-19, the opportunity to workout for FREE at any participating Lady of America or Ladies Workout Express Center during the summer months. The FitTEEN™ workout program, now entering its sixth year, runs from June 1 through September 1, 2009.
Toni Negas, Lady of America Franchise Corp. National Marketing Director, says:
“Give teens a place in the summer where they can begin a health and exercise plan in a supportive, non-competitive environment, and help them to begin a long and healthy relationship with their overall health and self-confidence. It’s not hard to make exercise a part of your everyday life when you start young.”
Here are some tips for teens to keep in mind when beginning a fitness plan:
1. Don’t be embarrassed. So what if you can’t run a mile? Who cares if you can barely complete a full push-up? You must start somewhere and no one begins at the level of a professional athlete. The important thing is to not let embarrassment prevent you from beginning an workout routine.
2. Start small. Nobody expects you to run 10 miles or bench-press 200lbs on your first day. You need to work up to these things. In fact, if you do too much too quickly you’re likely to either burn out or seriously injure yourself. Set small, manageable daily or weekly goals, and chart your progress in a journal.
3. Do both cardio and weights. Many people do one or the other, but for faster results, you should do both cardio and weight training. If you’re a girl, lifting weights will NOT make you ‘bulk up’ like a bodybuilder. In fact, weight training is crucial to help keep you healthy and strong.
4. Don’t overdo it. Muscles need time to repair. Don’t exercise the same group of muscles two days in a row, including abs. So while keeping a regular schedule is important, too much of a good thing is still too much.
5. Find a buddy. Things are easier when you’ve got someone to help you along the way. Team up with a friend and exercise together. Even when you can’t find the time to workout together, you can still motivate each other to stick with it and stay active.