August 2, 2008 – Elissa Steamer’s gold medal at the 2008 X Games cements her position at the top of her sport. But recognition still lags behind her male counterparts. The girls know how to rip and this year’s Women’s Street final proved it. Marisa Dal Santo, Brazilian Leticia Bufoni and Steamer all threw down some great tricks including boardslides and 5-0s on the rail. During the second heat Steamer stuck a lofty, kick flip over the China gap with less than three seconds on the clock.
Last year, skating on her 21st birthday, Marisa Dal Santo came out of nowhere to edge into first place, unseating Steamer from the top spot for the first time in three years. This year, Steamer stepped up and took her title right back – winning her fourth overall gold medal at the X Games. (Second, third and fourth places went to Marisa, Amy Caron, and Leticia Bufoni.)
When Steamer began skateboarding 23 years ago, she had few women to skate with and learned how to ride with the guys. She didn’t really set out to be a trailblazer, but that’s the role she’s assumed and her most recent gold medal proves she’s still the one to watch.
Check out this Elissa Steamer Profile.
Skateboard Street Women’s Final Results Results from ESPN X GAMES 14 at The Event Deck at L.A. Live in Los Angeles, Calf. on Friday, August 1, 2008. (Final Standings)
Name / Hometown / Score
1. Elissa Steamer / San Francisco, Calif. / 87.83
2. Marisa Dal Santo / LaGrange, IL / 81.50
3. Amy Caron / Huntington Beach, Calif. / 80.00
4. Rachel Reinhard / Colorado Springs, Colo. / 78.00
5. Leticia Bufoni / Sao Paulo, Brazil / 77.00
6. Vanessa Torres / Silver Lake, Calif. / 65.08
7. Evie Bouilliart / Huntington Beach, Calif. / 60.33
8. Lorena Lima / Sayreville, N.J. / 46.83
9. Lauren Perkins / Huntington Beach, Calif. / 42.83
10. Sophie Poppe / Destelbergen, Belgium / 23.25